Tuesday, June 28, 2005

New to Comics: One Year Later (Part II)

So what started me down the path of comics again, after that last dismal experience (related below)? Well, two words, actually: T. V.

I started watching X-Men: Evolution mostly because of the movies, and at first I thought it pretty much sucked. But eventually, especially around the end of the second season, it started to hit its stride, and pretty soon I became a fanatic: 'shipping for certain couples, talking about it with whomever I could corner, getting up on Saturday mornings just to watch new episodes. But once the show ended I realized I still needed my X-Men fix, and I realized that the easiest place to get this was comics. I was no longer as daunted as I had been about comics because I kinda knew what I wanted. And the internet was clutch in helping me find good stuff (see this excellent Return to Comics post). To make a hugely long story short, I'm now a comic book reader, hardcore, and to some extent, my purchasing choices are still influenced by television shows.


Like Justice League/Justice League Unlimited! Thanks to this fantastic show I'm reading books of varying quality, but I'm having a lot of fun getting into the DCU. For the first time since starting down the comics road, I finally get the appeal of the DC "universe" (sure I had read some Marvel books and some DC books, but I was never really into the larger continuity -- until now).


Because I've been in a whirlwind love affair for the past 12 months (with comics of course!), I've been thinking about how to get others to share in the love, and to a small extent I've succeeded. I've introduced a younger family member to the four colors and he's succumbing, though slowly. Others have been a little more resistant (you know who you are manga-lover). But I'm not sure comics can ever be "mainstream" because it takes too much work to really get into them. Even with the impetus of good comics-based cartoons on t.v. stirring me on, it took a lot of research and experimentation to finally find what I like. Of course, maybe that's the way it is with all hobbies, and I'm just noticing it now 'cause I'm new to this sort of thing. But I understand and share the desire of so many, to get more people into comics, because I love this new world I've entered and I want to share it with as many people as I can.

3 Comments:

At 12:48 AM, Blogger Devon Sanders said...

You should sign your blog up to this:

simpleweblog.com/comics/comicweblogs.php

in order to get the word out about your blog.

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger The Derelict said...

Sounds good, thanks!

 
At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I may be a "manga-lover", but I really am trying to keep an open mind when it comes to comics, and you know what? I've been pleasantly surprised at the variety and quality of American comics out there. Some of my favorite series are American comics (Fables, The Losers, etc.), and I would have never been able to get into these series if it wasn't for you. You may be worrying that you won't be able to get enough people into comics, but I have to admit that you really have begun to turn me on to this crazy world. So good work Jen, and thanks for sharing! By the way, I'm really digging Legion of Super Heroes...where are the other issues?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home