Thursday, August 25, 2005

The 40-Year Old Virgin -- Theology of the Body as R-rated sex comedy

I never would have believed that The 40-Year Old Virgin would end the way it did, or that it's message would be so clear about love and sex. I expected another American Pie sex-crazed movie that would smother us with messages about how special sex can be when you do it with someone you love (though not necessarily someone you're married to), but instead I got a hilarious (and filthy) movie that affirms chastity and marriage as the means to a happy and successful relationship. And Hair-inspired musical numbers.

3 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, Blogger Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Thanks for writing this. I, too, had assumed that The 40-Year-Old Virgin would be one of those disgusting "sex comedies" and decided not to waste my money on it, even though many people (including my mother) had recommended it to me.

Yet, according to your review, though, yes, it is filthy, it also affirms chastity and marriage. So I just might reconsider it--if only to see how the two can mix.

 
At 5:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger The Derelict said...

enbrethiliel,
It's my pleasure; I'm glad someone out there is reading! ;)

Be warned, though. 40-yo-Virgin is VERY raunchy, so even though I think the message is good, it is smothered in a lot of crudeness.

Hope you enjoy it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home